Course Main Course
Keyword Cast Iron Skillet Chicken, Chicken Dinner
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 52 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 12 minutes
Calories 318 kcal
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 19 oz. package mild Italian sausage links
- 2.5 pounds boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp salt divided
- 1/2 tsp cracked pepper
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 red or orange bell peppers sliced into strips
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup chicken broth divided
- 1/2 cup Jarred sweet cherry peppers coarsely chopped and seeded
- 1/2 cup liquid from cherry pepper jar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage and stir and cook until all sides are browned. About 10 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in the same skillet.
- Add chicken thighs in a single layer. (Cook in batches if necessary) Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook each side for 5 minutes or until browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Drain fat from skillet.
- Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in the same skillet.
- Add chopped onion and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook for about 2 minutes scraping brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Add bell peppers and garlic. Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Stir in half of the chicken broth. Cook until half of the liquid is reduced.
- Stir in remaining chicken broth, cherry peppers, cherry pepper liquid, and oregano. Bring to a simmer.
- Return sausage and chicken to the skillet. Partially cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (internal temp reaches 165F)
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.